Saturday, March 3, 2012

H3N8 Influenza-Protect Your Pups!

I took my two puppies to the veterinarian's office for their first physical. The veterinarian checked Gizmo and Chewbacca's heart rate and temperature. She then proceeded to inspect their eyes, ears and teeth. After she examined them, she asked if we wanted to give them a flu shot. I was astounded by her question.

A flu shot? Who gives their dog a flu shot?
This wasn't the first time that she had confused pet owners express concern. She then continued to explain the need for the canine influenza vaccine.
The canine influenza (H3N8) is a highly contagious new disease that causes respiratory complications. This new disease emerged in 2003 and continues to spread. The outbreaks have been commonly found in kennels, veterinary clinics, dog parks and animal shelters. An infected canine can also spread the disease to another canine through direct contact. The disease can cause serious complications and lead to death. This is why all canines should receive the canine flu vaccine.
But, I wonder...where did the canine influenza come from? We know the strain is closely related to the horse influenza virus, but why is it infecting our canines? More research will have to be conducted since the disease is new to our knowledge.
Boarding kennels are now requesting guests to show proof of vaccination. If I decide to not get the vaccine, then I can't kennel my puppies. I am still indecisive as to whether I should give my puppies the vaccine. Canines have survived all these years without vaccines. Why now?

No comments:

Post a Comment